Wednesday, April 23, 2008

a little "M.I.T."

Yesterday after I picked Brennen up from school we grabbed a late lunch and he told me this story. I'm so proud of him...
He said that in one of his classes they were divided up into groups and he was in a group with two of his friends. One of the boys says, "pretty funny we are sitting here a Jew, a Christian and a Mormon." So Brennen responded with, "That is pretty funny since Mormons are Christian." The boy (who is "the" Christian) said, "No your not." Brennen said "Yes I am". I'm sure this went back and forth a few times and then Brennen said, "Well what is a Christian then?" The boys response was, "Someone who believes Jesus lived and died for our sins so we could be saved." Brennen said "I believe that." The boy said "Well you have to believe in the bible." Brennen said, "We believe in the Bible." His response was, "No, not your bible the real bible." Brennen's like, "It's the same bible." Then the boy pulled a fast one and said, "You can't believe in the Book of Mormon." Brennen said that they finally agreed to agree to disagree. (I'm sure the Jewish boy was relieved)
Then later he was sitting with his friends at lunch and the boy walked by and jokingly said "Your wrong." And Brennen's like, "No your wrong." So his table was like what was that about. Brennen explained that the kid didn't think Mormons were Christians. His table that consisted of 3 or 4 Christians 2 Mormons and 1 Atheist got into the same little discussion. It ended with his good friend who is Christian saying, "One good thing about the Mormons is that they have to pay their tithing." Brennen's like "We don't have to pay our tithing. The bishop just calls us in at the end of the year and chews us out if we don't." (he's trying to keep the conversation light) Then the kid says, "And they are highly organized." Brennen responded with "Maybe a little too organized I'm teacher quorum president over myself because I'm the only teacher."

I was so proud of my little Brennen sticking up for himself like that. I told him that this is all part of his M.I.T. (missionary in training) I also pull that one out when we are having something for dinner that nobody likes. I also think it pretty cool that he is friends with "Christian", Jew, Atheist, whoever, something I missed out on by growing up in Utah, (not that that's bad, I'm not bashing Utah and I'm sure Utah is a little different now.) But.....
Go Brennen!

6 comments:

Nan said...

That is awesome. I'm afraid if that was me, I'd still be in the debate... There has to be some great joke to come of that.

It's like the judge appointing a "mormon" to help out the FLDS b/c he thinks we are one of the same.... One day, all will be known.

Good Job Brennen!!! M.I.T. will have to start in our house. That is great Robin.

M said...

Good job Brennan. I'm sure you will have many more experiences like that.

M said...

Sorry I spelled your name wrong.

Chellie said...

Brennen rocks.

I've heard of that debate so many times. We are The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints. Why is that so hard for some to understand?

MiandMiksmom said...

Brennen could totally hold his own here in the Bible belt. I think I run across this debate on a weekly basis...as a matter of fact, I ran across it today at Mik's preschool party at First Baptist. I wish he could have stepped in!!!!

Brynn said...

That is so awesome. Good job
Brennen. What a great missionary. That makes me smile. I love that our kids have opportunities almost every day to tell about their beliefs and faith. I'm very proud of him, as I'm sure you are.

I miss you guys. I subbed in primary for chorister this past week and it just wasn't the same. But they did a few really cool things that I have to tell you about.