Tuesday, April 1, 2008

april fools

As the boys minus Dustin, who was the only one who had to go to school today, were in the car driving I was reminded it was april fools day. So I had to think fast and this is what I came up with....
"Oh, I forgot to tell you guys that someone at work offered to take us all to Mexico for two week." no comment from the back but Brennen started in with we don't even speak spanish and that doesn't sound fun. To which I responded "Well we have to leave on Monday and dad needs to know right away so what do you think?"
Brennen response was "you know what I think, I think that it is a stupid idea I just can't miss two weeks of school, I'm in honors classes and I will totally flunk." (or something to that effect)
Thinking fast I said "I know but dad and I think that it's a once in a lifetime trip so it probably would be worth it even if you all had to repeat this school year."
This one perked up the ears in that back but they let Brennen do the talking. And talk he did with "you know what no, I'm not going" and a whole lot of other stuff he was getting pretty mad.
So I added, "I know Brennen but I'm having dad look into a foreign exchange program for you. I'm sure everything will work out."
His response was a lot of the same but with more force so I said, "April Fools" to which he responded "that was the lamest ever, I don't think your funny at all!"
"Of course you don't because you got played!!!" I said.

So am I a terribly mean mom or what?
And who wouldn't want to skip school for two weeks to play on the beaches of Mexico. Oh I know, the Marshall boys. You should have heard the fit they threw when I told them we were checking them out of school for 3 days to go to Disney Land a couple of years ago.

7 comments:

Chellie said...

That's hilarious! I remember using any excuse to skip school and my smart Ryker won't even miss one day to go to Utah with us to play in the snow. Crazy kids!! I can't get that kid to miss a day if my life depended on it!
That was a great April Fools Day joke! Way to go! I didn't even play any jokes! :(
You're a cool mom!

Nan said...

Funny Robin... I couldn't forget b/c it started the night before w/ soap on my bathroom handle. Emily was mad b/c she could only find the blue seran wrap for the toilets. I am so brain dead lately, I didn't even think to do anything fun. But the kids played each other all day long.

MiandMiksmom said...

Okay, that's hilarious! I especially loved the foreign exchange part...so much for trying to play an April Fool's joke!

chris jenkins said...

LOL. totally can picture the conversation. kudos to you for making the effort to fool - i'm too lame to try!

M said...

What in the world? Your kids are awesome, cute and completely crazy. I don't know anyone that wouldn't have jumped at that chance. That kills me. I thought it was rude at first because I thought they were going to be all excited that they were going to Mexico, then you'd break the news that it was all just a joke.

Brynn said...

Dang, that's your fault Robin. You must have instilled 100% attendance when they were young and now theres just no hope of them wanting to miss a day of school. I can totally see you in the car telling him about an exchange program. That's a crack up. Good one!!

Roger That said...

That is funny, but I guess you don't have to worry about him sluffing school.

I wish I had done one joke on April Fools. I totally forgot until the 4th!