Tuesday, June 3, 2008

dead-beat

So I get a phone call today, one of those unknown name unknown number calls. The man on the other end asks, "is Robin Marshall there?" This is her, I say. And then he introduces himself as Steve from the Washington State division of child support and lets it rip. Asking me why I haven't paid my child support for my seven year old son Nicholas. I was waiting for this call because he left me a message. I'm like dude you've got the wrong number and he insists No I don't! So I let him know that my youngest son is 8 and his name is Dillon. And he's like no his name is Nicholas and why haven't you paid your child support. So I'm starting to get a little upset I mean really this guy is calling me a liar. But the more I denied the more forcefull he got. So I took a deep breath and said, I'm not a liar what do I need to do to prove to you that I'm not the Robin Marshall your looking for? I've never lived in Washington, I have 4 boys, only been married once, I grew up in Utah ect. I could tell that a little bit of doubt was in his voice when he asked me for my address, he had the same address. He asked me my job, I told him I'm a mom and haven't worked since my oldest was born back when I was 22. I told him I went to college at Utah State in Elementary Ed. He's like ok, casually asking if the state of Nevada has contacted me yet, then asked my birthday which didn't match. So he's started to apoligize "if" he is wrong but he would need proof like my SSN. I agreed with him that it wasn't a good idea giving out that info over the phone so he gave me a fax number so I could fax him my drivers license. I took down the number and being pretty upset I just wanted to end this so I went upstairs to fax a copy of my proof. Only when I fax it off someone answers so I call the fax # to let Steve know he gave me the wrong number only it's not Steve. So since he called from unknown I have no way to call and get the right fax number. In the meantime my real kids are walking home from school when it's 97 degrees out because, for some reason, I didn't realize what time it was. They only made it to kids-r-kids but their faces were pretty red. Hey at least they have a mom, somewhere in Washington some little boy named Nicholas has some dead-beat mom who obviously doesn't want anything to do with him. I really feel sad for him and hope they find her but she is not me.

8 comments:

Clanturner said...

I sure hope that "Steve" wasn't some theif who now knows your name, address, date of birth, and phone number. You better get a credit check done soon. At least you didn't give him your SSN.

robin said...

Steve is legit. This isn't the first time I've been mixed up with this wonderful women. She stopped paying on a car once and the credit cops were looking for her and some nursing agency was trying to get her to work for them once. After sleeping on it I seriously just want them to start looking harder because obviously if you don't want to be contacted you don't list your name. Maybe I should fax them my blog so they can check me out. (:

The Roe Family said...

Robin just pay the darn child support. What are you thinkin you can't run away forever. Honestly just fess up

Chellie said...

I was thinking the same thing as Christy at first, but if you have verified it being legit, than I guess that's good. I still don't think I'd fax my info to anyone though...

It sounds like you handled it well. I've heard of name mix-ups happening before, but not to someone I know!

Also, I feel sad for Nicholas. It sounds like his mom doesn't deserve to have any contact with him anyway. He deserves much better!

Nan said...

Are you completely confident that this is legit? I still think it is a hoax. If he has your drivers license then you could be in real trouble. What agency was he from and did you call them to make sure he works there? Scam artists are professionals & it's their job to sound convincing. I can't believe he asked for your SSN but a drivers license is just as damaging. I think it is a read flag that the fax was wrong. He must have gotten enough info... I'd check your credit a lot in the near future. Sorry for being a downer but this sounds such like a scam.

robin said...

Seriously do any of you sleep at night? He did not ask me for my SSN he told me that would be the easiest way to clear it up but said it is a bad idea giving it out over the phone. He has no more info than anyone with access to the internet could get at any given time. I also got a couple of letters in the mail awhile back from the same agency sent to my house with the name Robin Lynn Marshall on it so I sent them back with a doesn't live at this address. I did check the web site to see if I was on the most wanted list.

M said...

It's good you're not admitting to it. Jake might lose it.

Babs said...

Your family's responses crack me up. Now I see where you get it. Stick to you guns girl.